A very moving memorial service for fallen shipmates was held on September 1, 2018 as part of our 45th Reunion. The following link provides a copy of the ROLL CALL from the memorial service, which represents the most inclusive list of fallen shipmates that has been assembled to date. The webmasters will update this webpage in the near future to ensure it identifies everyone who is listed in the ROLL CALL.
In addition, Rev. Randy Reinhardt ’73 provided some very meaningful remarks, which included some comments on the late Senator JOhn McCain, who was to be buried at the Naval Academy the following day. The following link contains the text of Randy’s remarks. Randy Reinhardt’s Reflections – 45th Reunion. Sep. 1. 2018
Please contact the Class of 1973 webmasters if you know of a “fallen classmate” to add to this list, or if you are providing changes and edits, obituaries, or additional information for any of the following individuals. Our special thanks as we endeavor to keep these shipmates and their families in our hearts. We would like to include links to the obituary, eulogy, and other memorials for each departed classmate…we are in the process of updating, adding burial information and obituary links for each classmate…You can even send us a nice “short” story about one of these classmates…. and, a picture or two of them playing USNA sports or participating in activities… plus a picture of them out in the fleet… Thank you so much!
The following classmates passed away prior to graduation:
- Joseph Donald Anderton – d. 9 Sep 1969
- Thomas Joseph Somok – d. 27 Jun 1970
- Collins Harvey – d. 22 Jun 1971
- Reginald Richard Campbell – d. 6 Jun 1972
- Lance Fremd – d. 6 Aug 1972
- Richard Jackson Allen – d. 20 May 1973
- Steven Owen Coats – d. 20 May 1973
The following classmates passed away after graduation:
- John David Angus, d. 13 Feb 2013
- James B. Ayres, Jr., CAPT, USNR, d. 1 Feb 2004
14th Company, BS. Analytical Management, Navy Air – See Shipmate Memoriam
- James Bradley “JB” Brown, Jr., LT, USN d. 28 Nov 1979, Age 28
18th Company, B.S. Applied Science, Surface Line, (LB Pg. 394) EA-6B Prowler plane crash near Diego Garcia. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. JB is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Memorial Section 1.
- Frederick William “Fred” Caesar, III, LTJG, USN d. 20 Jan 1977, Age 25
29th Company, B.S. Mathematics, Navy Air (LB Pg. 473) Sikorsky HH-52A Seaguard plane crash on ice patrol – Illinois and Mississippi rivers. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. Also, the USCG Aviation Memorial, Elizabeth City, Pasquotank County, North Carolina.
- Brian Lee Cardiff, LTJG, USN d. 25 June 1975, Age 25
1st Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 265) Aircraft collision during flight operations off the USS Forrestal in the western Mediterranean. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. Brian is buried at the USNA Cemetery, Section/Lot 02-0261E. Obituary for Brian Cardiff
- Robert K. “Bob” Christensen, CDR, USN d. 24 July 1992, Age 41
31st Company, B.S. Mathematics, Navy Air (LB Pg. 486)
CO of Strike Squadron (VFA) 37 when the F/A-18 he was piloting crashed off the coast of Vieques. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. Bob is buried at the Ponte Vedra Valley Cemetery, St. Johns County, Florida.
- Raoul B. Conway, DDS. d. 24 Apr 2003, Age 51
19th Company, B.S. Analytical Management. Obituary for Robert Cory.
- Douglas Evan Creed, d. 2 Jun 1973
- Carmen F. Cristallo, Jr., d. 2 Feb 2010
- Daniel Craig Cummings, d. 6 Nov 1976
- John L. “Dails” Dailey, Jr., CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 20 Mar 2012, Age 61
15th Company, B.S. Foreign Affairs, Surface Line (LB Pg. 374)
During his 29 years active duty, John served aboard ship, in the Pentagon, the Naval War College, and most notably as a helicopter pilot. In 1991 he assumed command of Helicopter Squadron H-2 based at NAS Norfolk. As OIC of the Detachment, John led the squadron in the theater during the Gulf War. John Dailey Photo Obituary for John Dailey
- Enrico Giacomo Del Puppo, USMC, d. 20 July 2001, Age 49 32 Company, B.S. Foreign Affairs and French. (LB Pg. 494) Obituary for Enrico Del Puppo.
- John C. “Jack” Dempsey, Jr., d. 15 June 1998, Age 47
20th Company, B.S. Math, (LB, Pg. 409)
Jack attended Nuclear Power School and subsequently served on an attack submarine. After resigning from the Navy in 1979, he worked for several Washington area consulting firms as a nuclear systems engineer, then helped form Semper Technologies in 1990. He remained an avid and competitive runner, participating in more than 25 marathons and serving as president of the National Capital Track Club of Washington. Obituary for Jack Dempsey
- Frederic Earl Depew, d. 8 Oct 2000
- Stephen Mark Dole, II, CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 18 Oct 2012, Age 61 11th Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 343) He retired from the Navy after 24 years. Obituary for Stephen Dole.
- Frederick Gustav Ernsting, Jr., d. 25 May 2016
- Raymond “Ray” or “Steamboat” Nellis Fulton, Jr. LCDR, USN d. 9 Sept 2012, Age 60
10th Company, B.S. Naval Architecture (LB, Pg. 337)
Ray served on the USS Reasoner and the USS Francis Scott Key, before becoming an instructor at Nuclear Power School. He retired from the U.S. Naval Reserves in 1989. Following active duty, Ray worked as a senior engineer for AdTech, and a naval architect for the Navy, Scientific Mgmnt. Assoc., a nuclear engineer for DOE, a naval architect at JHU/APL, and owned Steamboat Enterprises in Annapolis from 1993-2007! His son, Christopher, is a navy pilot. Raymond is buried at the USNA Columbarium, in Wall 36-5-B. Obituary for Steamboat Fulton
- Michael Jay Gage, LT, USN d. 21 July 2014, Age 62
25th Company, B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Nuclear Power (LB Pg. 446) Earned graduate degrees in engineering and math. Served during the Cold War on the nuclear submarines USS Tecumseh SSBN-628 LT and USS Birmingham SSN-695 LT.. Michael is buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri. Condolences from the Submarine Veterans Condolences for Michael J Gage – 10 August 2014) Obituary for Michael Gage
- Ernest P. Giere, III CDR Philippine Navy, d.1 Apr 1990
23rd Company, B.S. Aerospace Engineering, (LB. Pg. 432) Giere studied aeronautical engineering at FEATI University and was the first Filipino to earn a degree at the Naval Academy. He also did further studies at the Asian Institute of Management. He was assigned in the Philippine Navy’s naval research unit and was involved in Project Sta. Barbara of then President Marcos. He was also sent for training in Germany and when he returned home he knew how to design missiles or rockets. He was also involved in naval development projects in Leyte which helped the local population cope up with their sea transportation problems. Outstanding high school alumni award.
- John Corban Goble, d. 23 Mar 2009
- Wellington H. “Duke” Gordon, LTCOL, USMC d. 8 Nov 1992, Age 43
23rd Company, B.S. Foreign Affairs. (LB Pg. 432) Served in Vietnam. Duke is buried in the USNA cemetery, Sec/Lot 02-0261E.
- Richard Alvin Griffin, Jr.
36th Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB pg. 524)
- Scott Lars Hendrickson, CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 30 December 2003, Age 52
9th Company, B.S. Operations Analysis, Navy Air (LB Pg. 331) Helicopter pilot, CO of HSL-34 at Naval Air Station Norfolk, VA. Persian Gulf War Veteran, served as Air Boss of the USS Iwo Jima, then Chief of Staff at DISA Westhem. Scott is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Section 66. Site 3589. Scott Hendrickson Photo Obituary for Scott Hendrickson
- Peter Davison Herlin, LCDR, USN, d. 3 Nov 1987
17th Company, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Surface Line (LB Pg.388)
- James Thomas Hindman, Jr., d. 7 May 2013
- Derek Ervin Holmquist, LCDR, USN d. 1 April 1985, Age 34
10th Company, B.S. Electrical Engineering, Navy Air (LB Pg. 337) His A-6 Intruder jet disappeared in the jungle or mountains of Panama. He was with Attack Squadron 35, based at Oceana Naval Air Station. Class of 1973 in USNA Memorial Hall. Derek is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Memorial Section 1. Please contact us if you can provide an obituary or memorial story for Derek Holmquist.
- Christopher J. Holthaus , d. 28 Dec 1992
- James Pennock “Jim” Hopkins, IV, LCDR, USN (Ret) d. 28 Nov 2006, Age 55
12th Company, B.S. Spanish, Navy Air (LB Pg. 351) Served in anti-submarine warfare as a navigator, tactical coordinator, and defense intelligence analyst with VP-4 and VP-17 with assignments in Hawaii, Guam, Venezuela, Okinawa, and Virginia. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Sec 64 Site 5379. VP-4 Veterans Obituary Jim Hopkins Obituary
- Christopher Hamilton Hoyt, d. 13 Aug 2007
- John Martin Hudspeth, d. 26 Jan 2004
- Jeffrey Allan Iiams, d. 12 Jun 1978
- Maxwell Lee Jones, d. 11 May 2013
- Frank G. Kale, d. 9 May 2016
- Barry Lee Kelly, CDR, USN (Ret) d. 20 Aug 2016, Age 61
13th Company, B.S. Oceanography, Surface Line (LB Pg. 360) A Naval Aviator, Barry later earned a Masters in Systems Science and worked for Lockheed Martin Systems Integration, and Lockheed Martin Bell Helicopters – TEXTRON. Barry is interred at Barrancas National Cemetery in Pensacola, FL FindAGrave Obit for Barry Obituary for Barry Kelly
- John Francis Kennedy, d. 8 Aug 2005
- George Kerlek, Jr, MAJ, USMC (Ret) d. 8 July 2017, Age 66 USMC Air (LB Pg. 397) Huey helicopter pilot. During the Beirut – Lebanon conflict, he served as pilot for American diplomat Philip Habib, mediator between Lebanon and Beirut. Kerlek also served as a helicopter flight instructor in Pensacola, FL and New River, NC, and as a personnel/logistics coordinator at the Pentagon and Marine Corps Base Quantico in VA See the Inurnment Ceremony at the US Naval Academy Columbarium. USMC MAJ George Kerlek Jr – USNA Inurnment Service 18 June 2018 George Kerlek Obituary
- Thomas Leon Krupski, d. 16 Jan 1990
- Donald Wray Lewis, d. 17 Feb 2012
- Steven C. MacAllister, d. 16 January 2008
18th Company, Math, USMC, (LB Pg. 398) Steve MacAllister Obituary Steve MacAllister Photos
- Nikola Makarevich, d. 16 Feb 1974
- Donald G. Marquart, d. 27 December 2015
19th Company, Oceanography, Surface Line, (LB Pg. 405) Don’s first assignment was aboard the LEADER, where he qualified as a Surface Warfare Officer and earned accolades including Best Fleet OOD Award. His next tour was with Navy Recruiting District New York, with the nearly impossible task of recruiting and meeting physicians and nuclear power personnel quotas. Don was frocked as a lieutenant commander, but his life took and unexpected turn toward entrepreneurship. In 1983, with investment funding from Southwestern Bell (now AT&T) Don co-founded First Pacific Networks, the original cable modem company. As Chairman and CEO, Don led FPN to Wall Street’s sixth largest IPO in 1992. Don in inurned at the USNA Columbarium. Don Marguart Obituary
- Thomas Richard Masker, d. 25 Seep 1978
- Gary Woodrow Miller, CDR, USN (Ret) d. 26 October 2016, age 65
36th Company, B.S. Foreign Affairs, Navy Air (LB Pg. 527) As a mid, Gary was an exchange student at the Japanese Naval Academy and served for a summer aboard a Turkish submarine, functions as Communications Officer in NATO exercises. After graduating, he became a pilot and served in Jacksonville FL, Pensacola, FL, Corpus Christi, TX, and with the VQ-4 Squadron in California and Maryland, and flight operations in the Azores, Iceland, Spain and the UK. Obituary for Gary Woodrow Miller
- Matthew Paul Minahan, d. 10 June 2017, Age 66
7th Company, B.S. Aeronautical Engineering, Nuclear Power (LB, Pg. 313) Matt entered the nuclear power program, serving on SIMON BOLIVAR and SANDLANCE. After two successful tours at sea, Matt left the Navy to pursue a career in software development. In the ensuing years, while raising his family, he earned his master’s degree in Divinity from Calvary Baptist Seminary in Lansdale, PA, and served many years as an assistant pastor and deacon in his churches in New Jersey and Temple Baptist Church in Charleston. Obituary for Matt Minahan
- Frederick Richard “Fred” Minier, ENS, USN d. 30 May 1975, Age 23
15th Company, B.S. Spanish, Surface Line (LB Pg. 377) Also 23rd Company Tiger. Fred designed the crest for the Class of 1973. When he was the Assistant Damage Control Officer on the USS Sampson DDG-10, home ported in Athens, Greece, ENS Minier, his dive team was conducting a hull inspection of the main condenser intake. The Engineering Officer was sucked against the intake grate, Fred unhesitatingly swam to his assistance and freed him, but Ensign Minier found that he became sucked up and lodged in the main condenser with simultaneous loss of his breathing apparatus. For this act of heroism, Fred was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, posthumously, Class of 1973 in the USNA Memorial Hall. Frederick Minier is buried in plot F, 288-A at the Culpepper National Cemetery, Virginia. Fred Minier Eulogy
- Edward James Muldoon, d. 21 Aug 1988
- RObert James Namiot, d. 3 Nov 2008
- Robert Michael “Mike” Norman, CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 7 August 2013, Age 61
29th Company, B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Navy Air (LB Pg.476) F-14 fighter pilot, then Wing Commander of the 84th Fighter Squadron. After completing the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School, Patuxent, MD, Mike flew and tested fixed-wind, rotary-wing, and tilt-rotor aircraft. In 1980 he was selected as a NASA Group 9 Astronaut Candidate. After retiring from the Navy in 1985, and armed with a PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mike worked as a Research Scientist with The Boeing Company. Mike is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Section 35, Site 3602. Obituary for Mike Norman
- Michael Joseph O’Shaughnessy, d. 31 Mar 2001
- Lewis Gregory “Greg” Pallas, LT, USN d. 17 October 2013, Age 51
4th Company, B.S. Political Science (LB Pg. 293) Navy Public Affairs. Served aboard the USS Kitty Hawk, US Pacific Fleet, and at the Pentagon. Following his military service, he spent 18 years in the US Senate as Legislative Director and Chief of Staff to Senator J. James Exon of Nebraska. When Senator Exon retired, Greg worked with ITT Industries, Defense, McLean, VA. Greg is buried at the US Naval Academy Columbarium Lot 46-5-K. Obituary for Greg Pallas
- Charles Lewis Peterson, d. 12 Mar 2015
- Jerrold B. “JB” Peterson, Sr. COL, USMC (ret), d. May 2007, Age 56
26th Company, B.S. Political Science (LB Pg. 456), JB served in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom. He late attended Tulane Law School and served as the Central Staff Director at the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. Obituary for JB Peterson.
- James Edwin Pons, d. 4 May 2002
- Charles Ralph Porcelli, LCDR, USN d. 14 May 2015, Age 63
23rd Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 437) Navy pilot for 12 plus years, then went to work as a systems engineer for NAVMAR Applied Sciences in Warminster. Obituary for Charles Ralph Porcelli
- Gregory Pozinsky, d. 29 Jun 2003
- James Carlton Radney, LCDR, USN d. 28 September 1982, Age 31
12th Company, B.S. Oceanography, Nuclear Power (LB Pg. 353) Navy pilot assigned to Key West Naval Air Station, Fort Meyers, FL, killed in a SH-2F Seasprite anti-submarine helicopter crash. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. Obituary for James C. Radney
- Craig Otis Reynolds, LT, USN d. 22 Mar 1978, Age 26
7th Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 314). Enroute to Navy Flight School, Craig earned his Masters Degree at the Navy Postgraduate School in Monterrey, CA. He earned his Wings Of Gold and was assigned to HS-4, homeported out of NAS North Island, CA. During a combat search and rescue exercise mission near NAS Fallon NV on March 22, 1978, the SH-3H Craig was flying crashed with the loss of all five crewmembers, including LTJG Stephen LaBarre (USNA ’74) Craig Reynolds Photo
- Randy Jow Rickey, LT, USN d. 16 Oct 1977, Age 26
34th Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 512) After participating in a 7th Fleet amphibious exercise in the Philippines, Randy’s A4 Skyhawk jet fighter crashed into Subic Bay when preparing to land. Class of 1973 USNA Memorial Hall. Please contact us if you can provide an obituary or memorial story for Randy J. Rickey.
- Ernest Ray Robichaux, d. 17 Oct 2000
- Larry Edward Rutledge, LT, USN d. 6 Aug 2014, Age 62
34th Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Supply Corps (LB Pg. 511) Larry Rutledge Photo Obituary for Larry E. Rutledge
- Noe Antonio Salazar, d. 6 Oct 2012
- Richard Gail Samuels, d. 1 Aug 2006
- William Curtis Sanderson, d. 20 Apr 2004
- John Stephen Schuchman, d. 8 Jan 1990
- William Fred Seebode III, d. 17 Jun 2018
- Charles Edgar Sellers, d. 5 Feb 2013
28th Company (Graduated with USNA Class of 1975)
- Rodney Lenod Shockley, CDR, USNR (Ret.), d. 9 July 2017, Age 67
8h Company, General Eng., Navy Air (LB Pg. 323) Rodney Shockley Obituary
- Thomas E. “Tom” Silva, LT, USN d. 17 April 2013, Age 61
19th Company, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Power (LB Pg. 406) Earned his Masters in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Virginia and became an internationally-recognized expert in nuclear energy and business. Obituary for Thomas E. Silva
- Barry L. Smith, d. 13 Feb 2006
18th Company, B.S. Chemistry, USMA (LB Pg. 400) Barry Smith Death Notice.
- Kevin F. Smith, d. 8 Aug 2009
- Thomas M. Strait, d. 2 Jul 2017, Age 66
22nd Company, Anal.Manag., USMC (LB Pg. 429) Tom Strait Obituary .
- Stanley William Urban, d. 3 Mar 2012
- Robert William Vervoorn, Jr., d. 19 Sep 2004
- William Stephen Weise, USNR (Ret) d. 14 Dec 2014, age 63
3rd Company, B.S. Analytical Management, Navy Air (LB Pg. 287) Please contact us if you can provide an obituary or memorial story for William Stephen Weise.
- Mark A. Wheeler, LT, USN, d. 19 Jan 1988, Age 38
1st Company, B.S. Chemistry (LB Pg. 272) Mark went Nuclear Power and served on the USS Halibut (SSGN-587) and USS Spadefish (SSN-668) before leaving the Navy in 1978. He received his Masters degree from the University of Missouri at Kansas City and went to work for Mobil Oil in Louisiana and Western Gas Processors in Denver, Colorado. On January 19, 1988 Mark was a passenger on a commuter airliner which crashed in a snow storm on approach to Durango, Colorado.
- Terence S. “Terry” Wilson, LCDR, USN (Ret) d. 24 Mar 2017 Age 66
9th Company, B.S. Systems Engineering, Navy Air (LB Pg. 333) F-4 jet pilot, later attended medical school and became the head of the ER at the Orlando Naval base. After leaving the Navy, Terry went into private practice and participated in many community medical activities. Terry Wilson Photo and Tribute Obituary for Terry Wilson
- Timothy Lee Wilson, d. 14 Dec 2001
- Donald Hobart White, LT, USN d. 7 Mar 2014 Age 63
17th Company, B.S. Management, Navy Surface Line (LB Pg. 373) Obituary for Donald H. White
- John D. Yepson, LCDR, USNR, d. 11 Oct 2011, Age 60
2nd Company, B.S. Oceanography, Navy Line (LB Pg. 280)
U.S, Naval Academy Cemetery and Columbarium
- There are a number of specific eligibility requirements for burial in the U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery and inurnment in the Columbarium. For burial in the Cemetery, Naval Academy graduates must attain flag rank while on active duty. All Naval Academy graduates are eligible for inurnment in the Columbarium.Brochure for the U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery and Columbarium
- Members of the Class of 1973 buried or inurned at the Naval Academy Cemetery:
- Brian Lee Cardiff, LTJG, USN d. 25 June 1975, Age 25; Brian is buried in Section/Lot 02-0261E.
- Raymond “Steamboat” Fulton, LCDR, USNR (Ret), d. 9 Sept 2012, age 60; He is inurned in Columbarium Niche 36-5-B.
- Wellington H. “Duke” Gordon, LTCOL, USMC, d. 2 Dec 1992, Age 43. Duke is buried in Section/Lot 02-0261E (?).
- George Kerlek, Jr, MAJ, USMC (Ret) d. 8 July 2017, Age 66; George was inurned in the Columbarium on 18 June 2018.
- Lewis Gregory “Greg” Pallas, LT, USN d. 17 October 2013, Age 51; Greg is inurned in Columbarium Niche 46-5-K.
Members of the Class of 1973 buried or inurned at the Arlington National Cemetery:
- James Bradley “JB” Brown, Jr., LT, USN d. 28 Nov 1979, Age 28; JB is buried in Memorial Section 1.
- Scott Lars Hendrickson, CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 30 December 2003, Age 52, Scott is buries in Section 66. Site 3589.
- Derek Ervin Holmquist, LCDR, USN d. 1 April 1985, Age 34; Derek is buried in Memorial Section 1.
- James Pennock “Jim” Hopkins, IV, LCDR, USN (Ret) d. 28 Nov 2006, Age 55; Jim is buried in Sec 64 Site 5379.
- Donald G. Marquart, d. 27 December 2015
- Robert Michael “Mike” Norman, CAPT, USN (Ret) d. 7 August 2013, Age 61; Mike is buried in Section 35, Site 3602.
The USNA Virtual Memorial Hall exists to perpetuate the memory of alumni of the United States Naval Academy who have died in service to their country. As President Lincoln said in his Gettysburg Address, “It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion.”
This site demands input from friends, family, classmates, and shipmates of the fallen. No team of historians could possibly provide the nuanced understanding of who these men and women were. Stories and anecdotes, no matter how trivial, will help us learn. Please contribute!
This effort was created and is maintained by Run To Honor, a 501(c)(3) charity whose mission is to honor and remember those Naval Academy alumni lost in combat or military operations in service to our nation. Run To Honor and this site are not officially affiliated with the United States Navy or United States Naval Academy. Run To Honor is a Shared Interest Group (SIG) with the Naval Academy Alumni Association.
There are 10 honoree members from the Class of 1973 in the USNA Virtual Memorial Hall.